I grew up around a lot of Italian families so I knew about the Pepper & Egg sandwich when I was a wee one and remember the popularity of them during Lent. What I didn’t know was that these simple yet satisfying sandwiches are a “Chicago thing”. WHAT?! More people need to know about this! So call your Uncle Joe in Montana and every other damn person you know and let them in on this Chicago secret. Minimal ingredients, easy to cook, fast, and tasty. And if you’re into that religious stuff, they’ll save your soul. Allegedly. Paired with a playlist of bands from this fine city. So gather your ingredients, hit play, and get crackin’
PEPPER & EGG SANDWICH
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 green pepper, seeded and diced
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ tsp dried basil
salt and pepper
Ciabatta rolls or other Italian bread
- Heat olive oil in pan over medium heat and add peppers. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Whisk eggs and basil in a bowl and add to the pan, stir constantly…just like you’re making scrambled eggs.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Drizzle olive oil over bread and top with peppers & eggs