Take that cozy, heartwarming french onion soup and put all the ingredients together into a sandwich. Voilà. French Onion Grilled Cheese. Now before you get started, put on your jammies because you may pass out after eating it due to it’s richness. Definitely don’t operate heavy machinery and do plan for a post meal nap. If you don’t have time for a nap, then I’d recommend pairing it with a simple green salad dressed with a basic vinaigrette and maybe sharing a sandwich with a friend. Paired with a playlist of my favorite songs in French. Bon Appétit!
French Onion Grilled Cheese
Makes 2 sandwiches
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper
White wine or sherry (roughly 2 tablespoons)
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ cup chicken or vegetable broth
2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
4 slices of bread
- Heat butter and oil over medium heat.
- When butter is melted, add onion and toss so they’re evenly coated.
- Lightly season with salt and pepper. Add the sugar.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until they’re light golden brown.
- Continue to cook until they’re fully caramelized, it’s a slow process and will take about 30-40 minutes or so. (if you’re not familiar, here’s a great tutorial )
- Once caramelized and before they start to burn, add a splash of white wine or sherry and deglaze the pan.
- Add the thyme and then the chicken or vegetable broth.
- Cook until the broth is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Heat a non stick skillet on medium heat.
- Butter your bread on one side and add 2 slices to pan.
- Top with the caramelized onions and gruyere cheese. Place second piece of bread on top, butter side up.
- Cook and flip when bottom is golden brown. Cook until cheese is melted and second side is golden brown.
You may have leftover onion and cheese based on the type of bread you use.